Welcome!

The latest from my work through Soccer Without Borders in Uganda

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Departure

The day has finally come. After a weekend of gorging myself on brats, cheese, and good Wisconsin beer, I now have to finish packing for the next 10 months. By taking the bare essentials that I will need while I'm in Uganda, I know that there are many things that I can't take with me, most off which can't even be packed.

I can't bring my family with me. I know that I will form a new family with my fellow SWB volunteers and with the locals of Ndejje, but it can never replace the one I'm leaving behind. At the same time, I could never go on this adventure without knowing that I have such great support behind me at home. The kindness that you have all shown me through your support over the past 6 months is what has helped me prepare myself mentally for my trip.

I can't bring my friends with me. At times, friends can seem closer than family. Although I have gotten some questioning looks when I've told certain friends that I want to go to Africa for 10 months, I know that under that scepticism you have all been excited for me and supported my decision. I hope that you will all stay connected with me while I'm gone, and you better all be ready to celebrate my return come June!

Although I still have to make a pit stop in Cali for training, I will be in Uganda by the 10th. I will try to made an update post over the next couple of days while I find out more info about the specifics of my living condition and of my trip.

Until next time.

-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment