Welcome!

The latest from my work through Soccer Without Borders in Uganda

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My First Bota

I had my first bota-bota ride yesterday. Much less scary than it seems. It's actually very exhilorating. Since the sun was coming over my right-hand shoulder, I could see my hair blowing in the wind from my shadow. It must have looked pretty funny for the locals to see a 6'4" mzungu on the back of a little Ugandan's bota. the best part was, he asked if I wanted to drive!

At first, he simply asked me if I knew how to drive, to which I answered yes. Then, he pulled over to the side. I figured something was wrong with his little, run-down motorcycle, but he turned around and said, "You drive now?" A thousand different reasonings flashed through my head. I've never driven a motorcycle, but this would be an amazing time to start! I don't really know how to negotiate these potholed, hilly roads, but it would be a fun challenge! I would probably get hit by a car or taxi van as they rush past on these narrow roads, but it would be a great sight for the locals to see a mzungu driving a bota!

In the end, I let my good judgement get the better of my spirit for adventure. I don't know if it will end that way if the offer ever comes up again, though...

1 comment:

  1. DO SOMETHING CRAZY! DO SOMETHING CRAZY!

    Ha. -Bryan

    ReplyDelete