Welcome!

The latest from my work through Soccer Without Borders in Uganda

Friday, November 12, 2010

Adam - 1, Bilharzia - nil

So, I started to feel a bit sick last week Wednesday after the evening training at Mbabaali Primary School, so much so that I decided to lay low and rest all day Thursday. Normally, I'll get over a sickness within a few days, so I was getting a bit worried when I still wasn't feeling well on Saturday morning and my kidneys were starting to hurt. I rarely ever go to the doctor, but I figured that getting seriously sick in the middle of Africa wasn't the greatest idea in the world, so I made the trek to The Surgery in Kampala. The taxi ride there was the worst I've had so far. My tender kidneys felt every bump along the way.

After waiting a few hours, I was able to see the doctor, a snarky British ex-pat. Turns out, I got parasite called Bilharzia while rafting in the Nile, and it have just flared up after it's incubation period of 2 months. Long story short, I took a few pills, got a nasty fever for a few days, and now I feel 100% better. Even though it wasn't pleasant being sick, it's a small price to pay for the amazing experience of rafting the Nile.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam! This is Lee from Whitnall High School of 03-04, I really enjoy reading your blog in Ndejje,Uganda. You write your blogs that are serious but also funny as well, You write a serious and inspiring post, but then you also add a little humor to it as well. I liked the post where you were in Uganda riding by in a poor village, and you said that you were here to be a part of the culture and the community, not to put it under a microscope. Cause that's what most people unfortunately do, put it under a microscope, in my opinion. You interact with the people and want to join along with the people and be a part of their everyday life. I think that is awesome! I think that takes a special person, like you! Have a good day!

    -Lee

    ReplyDelete