Welcome!

The latest from my work through Soccer Without Borders in Uganda

Friday, April 8, 2011

Kids Helping Kids

This is long overdue, but I want to take the time to send a special "Thank You" to some amazing young people who have helped out with the Soccer Without Borders program in Ndejje by sending supplies for the Ndejje Youth Center. When I was back home for Christmas break, I stopped my my old elementary school, Hales Corners Elementary, to talk to my first grade teacher's class. While I was there, I started talking to one of the guidance councilors about talking to the 5th grade class about volunteering. Both classes were great to talk to and were so excited to learn about Uganda, the people there, and the work being done for them.

After talking to the students, they decided that they wanted to help the children of Ndejje by collecting school supplies and different puzzles and games for the youth. They also drew pictures for the Ugandan children to show them some things of what life is like for them in the US. All of the Ndejje kids were excited to find out about winter in Wisconsin. They were all really interested in what a 'snowman' is!

I can't say enough about what it means for people so young to try to help other people their own age who are in need. Too often, people don't realize they can help those less fortunate than them until later in life, and by that time they have wasted a lot of valuable time. That is why I want to thank every student in Mrs. Glick's 1st grade class and the entire 5th grade at H.C.E. for their contribution. I hope that it is just the start of many life long volunteer-careers! I can't wait to see you guys again when I get back in June!

Until then,

Adam In Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment