Welcome!

The latest from my work through Soccer Without Borders in Uganda

Friday, April 1, 2011

Pressing On

Things have started to look up. Slowly but surely, we have begun to establish an after-school program that is acceptable for the Hope P.S. administration. We have the schedule, now it's just a matter of working out the kinks in implementing it. The term is almost over, so we really only have one week left to work with the kids before break, but at least break will give us time to inform all of the teachers on how the new schedule will work for 2nd term and to make sure that they support us. That means having them actually promote the program rather than threatening to beat the kids if they come to the youth center after school.

As my time here starts to draw to a close and my future inevitably creeps up on me, I have started to think about what to do when it gets here. I feel my mindset has changed drastically since this time last year, along with my priorities. I don't want to go home and fall back on old ways. I'm afraid there is nothing I can do to stop it, but at least I can maybe try to hold on to a few pieces of the new me.

I want to continue to live simply. Cheap food and entertainment. I want to keep my mind active. Now that I don't have class everyday, I will be responsible for that on my own. Playing Zelda doesn't count. I want to keep reading books and not let myself waste away in front of the television for hours and hours each day. I want to start appreciating the time I have with my family. I don't want to be an absentee big brother anymore, especially since Bryan will be going off to college in a year and a half and starting his own life. Stuart needs someone to tease him about his weight, too, so that he will keep doing his Wii Fit. I'm perfect for the job.

There are still 2 months left in my time here, but that time will crawl by quickly. It took over a month to feel like I was settling in here, 5 months to establish an after-school program, and nearly 8 months to discover that I can buy chicken and chips (fries) right here in Ndejje and that I don't have to go into town for it anymore. I know I still have plenty of time to accomplish things with SWB, but it really is starting to feel like the home stretch. My biggest fear is that I will come home with regrets, feeling like there was more I could have done but didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment